What is the Active Investor Plus Visa?
New Zealand welcomes experienced, high-value investors to help build globally successful Kiwi businesses alongside the opportunity to embrace all aspects of life in New Zealand through the Active Investor Plus Visa program.
With the Active Investor Plus Visa, you can:
- Live, work or study in New Zealand full-time, or come and go as you wish (the minimum requirement is 117 days in New Zealand over 4 years)
- Bring your family with you
- Select from a wide range of investment opportunities, including direct investments, managed funds, and listed equities
- Apply for permanent residency after 4 years
As an approved ‘Acceptable Managed Fund’ under the Active Investor Plus Visa, the Climate Venture Capital Fund can help you maximise your impact investment, and experience the perfect harmony of business and lifestyle in New Zealand, a nation known for its thriving open market, innovative mindset, and exceptional quality of life.
Get in touch with our team to learn more today.
The Visa requires you to:
invest a total of between NZ$5 million and NZ$15 million (depending on a weighting system that incentivises more ‘active’ investments)
invest across three years and maintain the investment for a further fourth year
spend 117 days in New Zealand across the four-year conditional visa period
have a reasonable command of English to at least Level 5 of the International English Language Testing System.
Investment options & weighting:
The Active Investor Plus Visa offers four distinct investment options to cater to your preferences, with weighted multiples applied to encourage more active investments:
- Direct Investments (3x multiple): Invest directly into New Zealand businesses and receive the highest weighting for your investment. e.g. an investor could meet the required investment amount by investing NZ$5m into direct investments.
- Managed Funds (2x multiple): Invest in approved managed funds, like the Climate Venture Capital Fund, and every $1 invested counts as $2 towards your visa conditions.
- Listed Equities (1x multiple): Invest in New Zealand listed equities, such as shares on the New Zealand Stock Exchange (NZX). Equities are capped at a maximum investment of 50% ($7.5m) of the total NZ$15m requirement and no additional weighting is applied to your investment.
- Philanthropic Donations (1x multiple): Invest in qualifying New Zealand charities. Philanthropy is capped at a maximum investment of 50% ($7.5m) of the total NZ$15m requirement and no additional weighting is applied to your investment.
Why choose Climate Venture Capital Fund Extension?
As New Zealand’s only climate-focused VC fund, the Climate Venture Capital Fund is the premier option for AIP Visa applicants seeking to invest in companies that deliver high growth, venture returns, and compelling climate impact through measurable emissions reduction.
We firmly believe that having a high impact on emissions is a strong sign that companies will outperform their peers. Many of the companies we see are not created exclusively for climate effects but their climate impact happens to be an output of their competitive advantage.
Easy to Invest
- 2x multiple on your investment – a $7.5 million investment meets the minimum $15 million requirement for the visa.
- We can accept and commit up to $7.5 million in 2-10 weeks or accept investments in tranches, if you prefer to stagger your investments.
High Emissions Impact
- Co-fund investments that reduce CO2-e by 100 million tonnes by 2035.
- Measurable climate impact.
- Independent verification from Climate Impact Committee.
Targeting returns greater than 25% IRR.
AIP Visa investors are provided with the option to directly co-invest in selected deals.
By the Numbers
Source: World Economic Forum, Global Competitiveness Report 2019
Source: 2021 Global Peace Index
or exceeded their expectations.